We love learning from the Coursera Community and we are excited to share updates from the Coursera Learner Outcomes Survey*:
- 87% of career builders report benefits like getting a promotion, receiving a raise, or starting a new career
- 92% of education seekers report benefits like identifying a field of study or being better prepared for exams
- 78% say they’ve gained confidence
Whether it’s aiming for a promotion, a career change, or even a degree, there are many reasons to keep learning. But what we really wanted to know was:
What keeps YOU motivated to learn?
Here’s what you told us:
We love hearing what motivates you and how you use that motivation to achieve something you may not have thought was possible.
Like Mirela from Romania, who took a chance on data science and loved it so much she transitioned into an analytics role. And, Julio from Venezuela, who heard from many people that it was too late to learn how to code until he proved them wrong. Or, Israel from Mexico, who successfully programs in R and can analyze data in IBM Watson because he could learn anytime, anywhere. These are just a few of the many ways you’ve shared with us how you’re redefining what’s possible in your life.
From completing that next lecture to launching a new career, success comes in many shapes and sizes. Thank you for sharing what success looks like to you!
No matter the journey you’re on, we hope these words from Tristen inspire you to keep moving forward:
“To those who feel like they can’t accomplish anything because of their upbringing, to the student who wants to keep learning but can’t afford to, to any who feels like college is the only path to financial stability, I say to you, there’s always another way.
At first, I thought that the only way I can get into an IT role was if I went to college. My supervisor even told me that it’s no way I could get in an IT exempt role without a degree! I didn’t want to go to college…I’m a husband with 3 kids and I’m allergic to debt. But then I found @coursera. After 8 months in the Google IT program, I did what many said was impossible. I went from customer service to IT QA Analyst in less than one year. Not because I’m smarter or richer, but because I took advantage of learning platforms like @coursera to help me bridge the gap. I’m so grateful I’ve found Coursera. 🖥 “ – Tristen Alexander, @tryanalexander
Inspired to start learning something new? Courses featured in these stories include:
- Big Data Specialization from UC San Diego
- Game Design: Art and Concepts Specialization from CalArts
- Script Writing from Michigan State University
- Improve your English Communication Skills Specialization from Georgia Tech
- IBM Data Science Professional Certificate from IBM
- Full Stack Web and Multiplatform Mobile App Development Specialization from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Creative Writing Specialization from Wesleyan University
- Google IT Support Professional Certificate from Google
*The Coursera Learner Outcomes Survey is a recurring survey sent to every learner, anywhere in the world, who completes a course on Coursera. Data shared is from 2019.